Saturday, July 14, 2007










I'm tired, so I am going to try limiting this entry to about 30 minutes. I just finished soaking in the bathtub, so I am ready for bed. Today, I met one of my e-pals, and we had an enjoyable day walking around Central Park. I had a very nice day. However, before I summarize today, I should recap yesterday's visit to Liberty Island.

Friday. I left my apartment about 9:30am. In the Bronx, I stopped at the Target store to develop photos of my classroom. When I file my grievance for the "D" rating that I receive, I want to include photos of my classroom as supporting data against receiving a "D" rating. Anyway, I went to the photo kiosk and inserted my camera disk, and was I surprised...There were a couple of photos that should not have appeared on the screen.

I took a couple of photos of myself for "Before" shots, hoping that someday I can have an "After" photo showing an incredible transformation. The other photos were just a couple of "au natural" type. I deleted the photos from the disk while the disk was in my computer, and the photos did not appear when I reinserted the disk into my camera. I panicked for a while at the thought that the photos were floating around cyberspace, but I am feeling a little bit better.

After Target, I went down to Battery Park to get my ticket for the ferry ride to Liberty Island. The ticket booth was located in Castle Clinton (named after the governor at that time), the wait for the ticket was about 15 to 20 minutes. The adult ticket cost was $17 for an audio tour of the grounds on Liberty Island. For $10.50, you only got the ferry ride. To go inside the pedestal, reservations had to be made in advance. There were a few ticket that could be purchased at the ticket gate, but were already sold out. Then there was the line to get on the ferry, that line was about an hour wait. Once I arrived closed to the ferry, all passengers had to go through "security area" (A white tent). Once inside, just picture the airport check-in, it was the same. Before approaching the "security area", rent-a-cops kept shouting about the things that could not be brought in (including, big backpacks, coolers, large bags, and liquids). Yes liquids. A lot of people started to panic, and started throwing out their water, sodas, etc...Being the cheapskate that I am, I decided that someone was going to have to tell me directly to throw away my almost empty bottle of water. When I got to the "security area" door, the sign read, "No open bottles of drinks". Inside (just like the airport, passagers were assigned lines, on the lines, pockets had to be empty, metals removed etc...For some strange reason, the old lady in front of me had to take off her shoes. I had no problems going through.

On the Liberty Island, since I did not have a ticket to go into the pedestal, my plan was to just walk the perimeter and return. I got lucky, a free tour by a park ranger was just starting, so I followed that group. I thought the tour was interesting and informative. One of the things that I learned was that the guy who designed the Eiffle Tower also designed the Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World (the official title). I stayed on the island for about 45 minutes, and then returned.

Back on the mainland, I decided to go to the movies. I got off the train at 34th street, got a newspaper and realized that I was looking at an outdated movie schedule. The movie on 34th street was no longer showing Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer, so I walked to 42nd street. On 42nd street, I was very surprised...

There was a Yoshinoya restaurant. Only those from Japan (or have been) know about the restaurant. A cheap, but good meal for only a few dollars. There specialty is the beef bowl. It was slightly Americanized, but I enjoyed my beef bowl.

The movie theater was a bit strange, it seemed to be getting bigger the higher up you went. the movie theater I went to #22 was on the fifth floor. The movie theater was small, I think there were about 40 or 50 seats.

The movie was nice, not great, not bad, just nice. Nothing special. I've attached a few photos from my visit to Liberty Island. The name of the photo will tell you what the photo is about.

After the movie, I returned home. I managed to get on my rowing machine for 45 minutes (see the results in yesterday's blog entry), then I soaked in the bath for about 30 minutes.

Since it is late, I will have to do a blog entry about my Central Park walk tomorrow. Since I also did my rowing for 45 minutes today, I will put the results below.

200.4lbs. / 29.3%BMI / 86.3CalB.

Post Date - Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:31pm

No comments: